A mother and her two children pose for a family portrait at the studio of B. Nielander & T. Romauer in Munich, Germany. Mother is wearing a striped skirt and simple white blouse with a dark ribbon. The oldest child is wearing a bow in her hair and holding a ball.
This cabinet card photograph features a fashionable New England young woman. However, the main focus of this photograph is the woman’s purse. The photographer ruined the photograph by forgetting to ask the woman to put her purse in a place out of range of the camera. The woman is wearing dress gloves, a large bow, a wide brimmed hat, and is slenderized by her corset. The photographer is Bailey of Concord, New Hampshire and he probably was not really inept. However, he certainly made an error when posing the subject for this photograph. A Concord business publication (1890) writes about a photographer named H. C. Bailey. The articles states that Bailey took possession of a photographic studio in Concord in 1888 and that he had lived in Concord since 1860. The article also states that Bailey had a branch studio and art store in Woodsville, New Hampshire. Bailey was reported to have been born in Lisbon, New Hampshire. There is no confirmation that this cabinet cards photographer was H. C. Bailey but it is likely to be the case. In 1890, the Bailey studio was located on State Block, on the corner of Main and School Street.
This cute little girl poses for her portrait in the studio of Holman, located in Warren, Ohio. She appears to be sitting on one of her feet as she peers into the camera with a dubious expression. She is wearing bows in her hair for her big day at the photographer. The reverse of the card indicates that the subjects name is Hazel Daugherty. Research indicates that the photographer is Charles E. Holman (1847-1915 or 1919). He was born in Massachusetts and shortly after the civil war, studied photography with his brother-in-law Luther M. Rice in Warren, Ohio. He moved to Utica, New York where he worked in a shoe factory until returning to Ohio and his employment with his brother-in-law in 1875. In1879, he bought the studio from Rice and ran the studio until about 1900.