This cabinet card portrait features a little boy on his tricycle and his big sister. The boy is wearing a bow tie, a striped shirt, and a serious expression. The young girl has a protective grip on the handlebars of her brothers trike. Her straw hat is on the ground in front of her. This outdoor scene is actually taking place inside the studio of C. E. Pelton who operated studios in both Dighton (1892-1895) and Leroy (1892-1893), Michigan. Pelton also operated a studio in Tustin, Michigan (c 1890). The young girl in this image is identified in an inscription on the reverse of the cabinet card. Her name was Maud Piper and she can be found in the Michigan birth index. Maud E. Piper was born in Williamston, Michigan in 1884. Her parents were named Isaac and Esther Piper. Unfortunately, Maud died in 1894 at the age of ten. She is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Okemos, Michigan.
The young girl featured in this cabinet card portrait seems to be very prepared for a cold Michigan winter. She looks adorable in her fur trimmed coat and matching fur hand warmers. The photograph is a product of the Abbey studio in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Lewis Clark Abbey (1838-1904) was a photographer from 1876 through at least 1900. He was located at 303 East Main Street between 1887 and 1889 which therefore this photograph was taken between those years.
The reverse of this cabinet card has an inscription that reveals that the names of the two girls appearing in this image are Ola and Gertie Cogswell. They are wearing lovely dresses and bows. They have terrific long hair and curls. The siblings appear in the 1900 census. At the time of the census, Ola was nine years old and Gertie was seven years old, They were living with their family in Cato, Michigan. Their family consisted of their parents Harley and Ella, and siblings Theodocia (age 5) and Harold (age 3). At some point after 1900, the family appears to have moved to Grand Rapids. The photographer of this image is the Chapman studio which was located in Stanton, Michigan. Ira O. Chapman (1853-1908) and E. Frank Chapman (1858-1916) were brothers who operated as photographers in Stanton, Michigan. It is unclear which brother is the creator of this cabinet card. At one point in time, the pair conducted business in Stanton as “Chapman Brothers” studio. A portrait of a group of members of the Grand Army of the Republic that was done by the photographer brothers, appears in the Flat River Museum in Greenville, Michigan.
This photograph captures a beautiful young girl wearing a big hat. Her adorable outfit includes a white dress, plaid jacket,white tights and white shoes. She is also wearing a ring and necklace. The image was produced by the Herman gallery in Calumet, Michigan. The photographer, Victor Herman, did an excellent job of posing the child. An advertisement for Herman’s studio can be seen in the Michigan State Gazetteer and Business Directory (1897) and he is listed in other directories from about 1886 through 1910.
This bust portrait of an attractive short haired young woman is the product of the Millard studio in Detroit, Michigan. The woman is wearing a lace collared dress and earrings. She has magnificent deep hypnotizing eyes. C. A. Millard is mentioned in The Industries of Detroit (1887) as being the proprietor of the oldest photographic studio in Detroit. It is reported that he bought out a Mr. Powelson in 1879 and at the time of the books publication, Millard employed ten to fifteen artists in his studio. An interesting side note concerns Millard’s death in 1891. Frank Scott Clark (1865-1937), a noted backdrop painter, came to Detroit in 1892 to manage Millard’s studio for Millard’s estate. Among his accomplishments, Clark was an extremely talented photographic background specialist. In fact, during his career, he created, made, and set up backgrounds for both Napoleon Sarony and Jose Maria Mora. Not too shabby a resume for Mr Clark.
An elderly man poses for his portrait at the Gibson & Morgan studio in Howell, Michigan. The gray haired gentleman appears to be missing his teeth and is wearing an unusual beard that occupies much of his neck and little of his face. To view other interesting beards, click on the category “Beards (Only the Best)”.
A young man with a “spiked” hairstyle poses for his portrait at the Schellhous studio in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The gentleman is wearing a checkered jacket with a pocket handkerchief, and his watch chain shows under his jacket. The photograph is dated 1886. The photographer of this image, Loran Webster Schellhous is listed in the Grand Rapids business directory between at least 1884 through 1893. He also operated photography businesses at various times in Colon, Coldwater, and Coopersville, Michigan. The Ada Historical Society (Michigan) indicates that Schellhous’s wife, Martha Catherine Faxon (1831-1905) was also a photographer. She is recognized for her work photographing leaves of various plants.
This cabinet card serves as a period fashion photograph. The unidentified woman in this image is wearing a button down dress and a large hat. The photographer is J. G, Hill of Monroe, Michigan. According to the 1880 US census,the thirty year-old Hill (1850-?) was born in Canada and lived in Monroe with his wife Katie Hill (age 24) and their children, Willie (age 2) and Charles (age 10 months). Katie’s 16 year-old brother also lived with the J. G. Hill family. The 1890 Detroit business directory lists Hill and his photography studio, but from that point of time until 1897, Hill clearly relocated, and his studio can be found in the Toledo, Ohio business directory.
A young woman poses for the camera at the studio of Arthur & Philbric in Detroit, Michigan. She is wearing an unusually loud patterned blouse. Note the subjects fingerless gloves and collar pin. The Arthur & Philbric Studio had galleries in Detroit and Grand Rapids, Michigan, as well as in Toledo, Ohio. Research revealed some information about James Arthur (1855-1912). He was a native of Montreal, Canada and first began work as a photographer with the well known J. and J. W. Notman studio. He came to Detroit in 1881 and went to work with photographer J. E. Watson. In 1883 he became senior partner in the firm of Arthur & Philbric and they remained in business together for eight years. He then became sole proprietor of a firm called Arthur Studios. Research also yielded information about Philbric. Most notable is that Philbric was a woman. Her name was Helen M. Philbric and her name appears in Michigan business directories as Arthur’s partner between 1884 and 1893. No other information about Philbric was discovered. To view the work of other female photographers, click on the category “Female Photographers”.
Here is a man with character. This older gentleman is quite an intense looking man. He has a great looking beard. The beard has a layered cut appearance. The studio that produced this photograph is Holcombe & Alvord of Detroit, Michigan. Research reveals little about the men that operated this studio. Their full names were found to be Burton J. Holcombe and Charles E. Alvord. An article appearing in “The Photographic Times” (1884) announced that the partners had opened a new gallery at 220 Woodward Avenue in Detroit. Advertising on this cabinet card reveals that the studio at some point had been located next door at number 22 Woodward Avenue.