PORTRAIT OF TWO LOVELY LASSES IN BELFAST, IRELAND

irish ladies_0001Two young women wearing dark dresses pose for their portrait at the Abernathy studio in Belfast, Ireland The standing woman delicately rests her hand on the arm of the seated woman. The seated woman is holding a folded magazine or newspaper on her lap. The photographer’s name and address on the bottom of the cabinet card is gold gilded. Note the royal symbol on the center bottom of the photograph and the small print underneath advertising that Abernathy was a royal appointed photographer. William Abernathy began working as a photographer in 1885. At one point in his career he had seven studios in his province. One source reports that his studios averaged three hundred sittings per day. In 1900 he received a royal appointment and photographed Queen Victoria during her visit to Dublin.

Advertisements
Published in: on October 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm  Comments (1)  
Tags: , , , , ,

EARLY MOTOR CAR AND CHAUFFEUR IN DUBLIN, IRELAND

This unusual cabinet card is by William McCrae, art photographer located at  Berkeley Road in Dublin, Ireland. His studio was opposite the Mater hospital. He was formerly located at Lafayette. This image features an early motor car and chauffeur. The previous owner of the photograph asserted that this car’s registration plate (ik-29), indicates that the car was from Dublin and the time of the photograph was sometime after 1904, when registration plates were introduced.

Published in: on November 15, 2012 at 12:01 am  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , ,

LITTLE GIRL IS OFF TO THE RACES IN DUBLIN, IRELAND

A cute little girl with a wonderful smile sits atop a rocking horse at Lauder Brothers studio in Dublin, Ireland. She is holding the reins of the very detailed rocking horse and her young mother poses behind the girl, in position to keep her daughter securely on the horse. The Lauder gallery had two locations,  32 Westmoreland Street and 45 Lower Sackville Street. Lauder Brothers studio began operation as a daguerreotype studio on Capel Street in Dublin in 1853. The owner of the studio was Edmund Stanley Lauder, who died in 1895. Lauder Brothers was in business on Lower Sackville Street between the 1850’s and 1904. It was operated by a number of members of the Lauder family. Business directories list the studio as Lauder Brothers between about 1880 and 1884.. Edmund Lauder’s son, James Stack Lauder (1853-1923),  founded the Lafayette Studio in 1880. He became the first Irish photographer to be granted the Royal Warrant. He earned this honor after photographing Queen Victoria in her Golden Jubilee year (1887). James Stack Lauder had three brothers who also became photographers. The brothers names were George Marsh Lauder (1858-1922), Edmund Stanley Lauder Jr. (1859-1895), and William Harding Lauder (1866-1918).

Published in: on March 1, 2012 at 12:01 am  Comments (1)  
Tags: , , , ,