Carl Pietzner produced this wonderful portrait of two children posing at his Olmutz, Austria studio. The kids are adorable. Big sister is holding her sibling’s hand who has a smile wider than the Danube River. The reverse of the photograph has a printed advertisement for the studio that states “Jnhaber: Adolf Muller”. Thanks to google translation, the entry indicates that Mr. Muller was the owner of the studio. It seems to indicate that Pietzner is the photographer but not the owner of the studio. Perhaps a knowledgeable visitor to the cabinet card gallery can clarify this issue. To learn more about Pietzner and to view more of his photographs, click on the category “Photographer: Pietzner”.
This cabinet card photograph features a very fashionable young boy, posing at the studio of Karl Pietzner in Wien (Vienna), capitol of the Austro Hungarian Empire. The young boy is wearing a sailor type blouse, boots, a straw hat, and holding a stick. Pietzner (1853-1927) was born in Prussia and is known to have worked as a photographer from 1877 until 1924 and he worked throughout Europe. At the time that this cabinet card was photographed, he had studios in Wien, Carlsbad, Brunn, Eger, Teplitz, Aussig, and Olmutz. The New York Times (1899) printed an article about his photographic research work in the production of reliefs. He invented a process he named “plastophotography”. He was a photographer for the Royal family in Austria. He did portraits of Franz Joseph. Pietzner was certainly a celebrated photographer and this cabinet card is a great example of his work.