A cute little girl wearing a checkered dress and big hat posses for her photograph at the Lawrence studio in Worcester, Massachusetts. The child projects an air of confidence as she gazes at Frank Lawrence, the photographer. A drawing of Lawrence’s studio can be seen on the reverse of this cabinet card (see image below). His studio was located on the John G.Clark’s Block. To learn more about this photographer and to view more of his photographs, click on the category “Photographer: Lawrence”.
A well dressed young wedding couple pose for their portrait in Lawrence, Massachusetts. Both subjects are wearing corsages and the young man is holding what appears to be a program or certificate. The photograph shows no affection or emotional connection between the groom and the bride. A fitting wedding present may have been a gift certificate for marital therapy. The photographer of this image is S. R. Page. Mr. Page appears in the US census of 1900 and the data indicates that he was born in Canada in 1865. He immigrated to the United States in 1894 and was married to a woman named Felinne. The census also indicates that he worked as a photographer. The 1897 Lawrence City Directory reports that Page worked as a photographer at the same address as seen on this cabinet card.
This cabinet card portrait captures a young family posing at the R. B. Lewis studio in Hudson, Massachusetts. Both mother and father are each holding one of their infants on their laps. Mom looks quite pretty in her striped blouse and is wearing a long necklace and collar pin. Dad looks comfortable enough sitting in a somewhat ornate chair. To view other cabinet card photographs by R. B Lewis, click on the category “Photographer: Lewis”.
This cabinet card features a father and son posing for their portrait at a photography studio in North Adams, Massachusetts. Both father and son are standing by their violins. Sheet music rests on a music stand. Hopefully the boy has memorized his part because there is no way he is going to be able to read the music due to it being elevated so far above his head. Dad seems to be rather self absorbed as he poses for the camera. It is as if he is oblivious to the presence of his son. It is interesting that the photographer chose to photograph the musical pair in a faux outdoor setting. Placing the subjects in a faux parlor or music room seems more appropriate. Nevertheless, this is a terrific photograph. I have been unable to decipher the photographers name and would appreciate any assistance in the effort from any cabinet card gallery visitor. Visitors have played an important role in providing research and background information throughout the gallery’s history and their efforts are greatly appreciated.
A member of the Salvation Army poses for his portrait at the Dodge studio in Ipswich, Massachusetts. He is wearing a “S” pin identifying his affiliation with the religious/community service group. He is also wearing a ribbon which asserts that “Jesus is Mighty to Save”. The Cabinet Card Gallery has a wonderful collection of photographs of Salvation Army members and to view them, click on the category “Salvation Army”. George K. Dodge is listed as a a photographer in a number of Ipswich business directories from 1888 through 1896. He may have served in the 99th New Hampshire infantry as a musician between 1861and 1862. His military service is likely but not confirmed.
Photographers Seeley & Warnock took this photograph of a cute dog posing in their studio in Bridgeport, Connecticut. What a pose? The photographers have captured this adorable canine exhibiting a smile (with his/her mouth open). The lighting utilized in this photograph could have been better, but lets remember that dogs are tough customers for a photographer. On the reverse of the cabinet card is advertising that states “Instantaneous Portraits of Children A Successful Specialty”. Note that photographing children is not only a “specialty” but it is a “successful specialty”. Additional printing on the reverse of the cabinet card indicates that it was produced in 1892. Preliminary research found no information about Mr. Warnock but there is an abundance of information about Mr. Seeley. Henry James Seeley was well known in Grand Army of the Republic circles. He was a department commander (Connecticut) and served in national offices of the organization. He was born in Jericho, Vermont in 1849. At the age of fifteen he enlisted in the 10th Indiana Battery, Light Artillery. After serving with the unit he was transferred to the gunboat Stone River which was operating on the Tennessee River. His next post was Fort Johnson in Huntsville, Indiana. Seeley entered and left the military as a private. After mustering out of the military in 1865, he taught school in Carbondale, Illinois. He then went to Vermont to further his education and then had teaching stints in Rome (NY), Worcester, Fall River and Bridgewater (MA). In 1872 he moved to Bridgeport where he studied photography and finally settled down. He opened a photography studio there in 1872 at 922 Main Street. He spent the next forty-five years or more working as a photographer.
An older man poses for this cabinet card photograph by Frank Lawrence who operated a studio in Worcester, Massachusetts. Advertising on the reverse of the image reveals that the studio was located at 492 Main Street. The gentleman in this photograph is nicely dressed and groomed (despite his longish locks). He has a very strong countenance. He looks like the sort of man that you would not want to alienate. He has an appearance that strongly suggests determination and grit. Research found an advertisement in the Worcester Directory (1867)for Lawrence’s studio which trumpeted that he produced both Sphereotypes and Ambrotypes. A stereographic photograph by Lawrence of the great flood of Worcester (1876) was also discovered. His name appears in Worcester business directories through 1886.
A little girl wearing a lace dress sits on a cement post and poses at the Homer & Company studio in Boston, Massachusetts. She is wearing a necklace and a bewildered expression. Research yielded very little information about the photographer who produced this cabinet card. It is known that the photographer was named George H. Homer and that he actively operated his studio between 1883 and 1885. He also may have worked as a photographer in other years.
This cabinet card features stage and film actress Mabel Trunnell (1879-1981). The reverse of the photograph is inscribed “Yours Truly, Mabel Trunnell 1898″. Therefore, this image captures Miss Trunnell at about age nineteen. Mabel Trunnell was born in Dwight, Illinois. She began her career as an actress of the stage but at age thirty-two she began to appear in films. In 1911 she appeared in “A Modern Cinderella, In the Days of Chivalry” and in “The Star Spangled Banner”. Her last film was in 1923 when she was in the movie “The Love Trap”. Her filmography on IMDb indicates that she acted in 199 different films. At the age of forty-four she returned to the stage. She was married to Herbert Prior, an early British film star. Trunnell was one of Hollywood’s first movie stars as was identified with Edison Studios. A magazine article in “The Moving Picture World” (1915) reviews one of her performance. The reviewer wrote “Mabel Trunnell becomes more attractive as the course of time silvers her hair”. An interesting sociological comment was also made by the reviewer which was in regard to the admirable strength portrayed by Trunnell’s character. The reviewer notes “most of us are tired of seeing women pictured as incurable weaklings”. The reviewer was certainly a man who was ahead of his time. This cabinet card was produced by the Barrows studio in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It appears that Miss Trunnell was photographed in a costume from one of her performances. She is dressed very much like a maid and seems a bit troubled in her pose. The photographer, Frank Rufus Barrows operated a studio in Fort Wayne between 1880 and 1900. He is considered one of the city’s most prolific photographers and had several locations while in business there. He was born in Sturgis, Michigan in 1854. He came to Fort Wayne in 1880 and partnered with Frank H. Clayton in operating a photographic studio. In about a years time he became the sole proprietor of the studio. He had many photos appear in Fort Wayne Illustrated (1897). He left Indiana for Medford, Massachusetts and operated a studio there until 1910 when he moved to Eugene, Oregon where he died in 1920.