A young woman wearing her salvation army uniform and badge poses for her portrait at Bishop Brothers studio in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Her appearance suggests a personality of “sweet, pure, and innocent” which certainly would be complimentary to her role of helping those in need. The mainstay of Bishop Brothers was Henry Theodore Bishop (1853-1917). He began his photography career in his childhood hometown of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. He moved to Minneapolis and operated at the address of 62 Syndicate Block. The Directory of Minnesota Photographers reports that he was a photographer in Minneapolis between 1885 and 1903. Later he conducted business for a year in Austin, Minnesota. It is a bit confusing as to who was the “other brother” at the Bishop Brother’s studio. The Minnesota Historical Society’s directory (referenced above) asserts that his partner was James E. Bishop and that they worked together only in 1885. However, Henry Bishop’s obituary which appeared in the Altoona Tribune (1917) reports that James E. Bishop was Henry’s son and that the brother he partnered with in Minnesota was W. M. Bishop. This photograph is one of many Salvation Army images that can be found in the Cabinet Card Gallery. To view the others, click on the category “Salvation Army”.