An unidentified well dressed couple pose for their portrait at the Lidberg studio in Red Wing, Minnesota. Note the woman’s thin waist, indubitably assisted by a very tight corset. She and her husband are both wearing corsages which hints that this image is a wedding photograph. Andrew Lidberg emigrated from Sweden and arrived in Michigan in 1877. He opened a photographic studio in Red Wing in 1892. His son, Edward H. Lidberg (1880-?) joined his father in the photography business. He operated in Red Wing for a number of decades. Among his addresses were 312-314 West Avenue and 443 Third. In 1911, Edward added a Real Estate business to his studio. In 1911, he produced Red Wing’s first color postcards. Red Wing has an interesting history. The town was named after a Sioux Indian chief. Red Wing was a leading US wheat production area in the 1870’s. The town was also known for the production of stoneware. It is believed that the first ski club in the United States was formed in Red Wing.
This photograph features a pretty woman wearing a very fancy white lace dress. Hopefully, some of the cabinet card visitors with fashion interest and expertise will make some informative comments about this fashionable woman’s attire. The woman’s hairstyle is interesting. She is wearing her hair up and its in a puffy, but neat, pile. This photograph was produced by the Wilkins studio in Freeport, Illinois. Charles E. Wilkins was born in 1859 in Red Wing, Minnesota. He lived in Freeport for forty-two years and operated his photography studio there for twenty-five years. His studio was located at 123 Stephenson Street for an unknown number of years. He retired about 15 years before his death. At age seventy-two he took up golf and “played a remarkable game” according to his obituary which appeared in the Freeport Journal Standard (1940).
This cabinet card is a portrait of three sisters with a strong family resemblance. The woman are attractive and nicely dressed. Note that the woman on the right is wearing a necktie, and the sister in the center has ribbons on her collar. The photographer is W. F. Kellogg of River Falls, Wisconsin. The Kellogg studio was established in 1877 by Douglas Wright Kellogg (1840-1913). The studio was built on the southeast corner of Main and Walnut Street. In 1878, Douglas Kellogg sold the studio to to his older brother, Wilbur Fiske Kellogg (1836-1920). Wilbur Kellogg is the photographer who produced the above portrait. Another brother, John D. Kellogg operated a gallery in Red Wing, Minnesota from 1868 until 1899. Douglas Kellogg eventually moved to Reedsburg, Wisconsin and opened a gallery there. All three brothers were born in Danby, New York, and learned photography in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. Wilbur was a farmer prior to entering the photography business. In 1900, he was thought to be the oldest photographer in Wisconsin. When he sold the studio, Wilbur and his wife moved to Spokane, Washington. In 1899, he partnered with John R. Boals (1872-1959) to establish a photographic studio which was eventually sold to Stella Thayer (1875-1934).