PORTRAIT OF ADORABLE SIBILINGS ESTER, OLGA, AND HAROLD MONSON IN SALEM, OREGON

spinster

 

spinster-1

This vintage photograph features three adorable siblings. Their names, “Esther, Olga,and Harold Monson” are written on the reverse of the photo. The children are well dressed and are wearing wonderful smiles. The girls are clothed in identical white dresses with lace, and are wearing identical hair bows. Master Harold is dressed in a nautical themed outfit. The Monson siblings are listed in the 1910 US census. The family was living in Jefferson, Oregon. Esther C. Monson (1894-?), Olga Christine Monson (1896-1991), and Harold G. Monson (1898-1991) were living with their parents Olof and Anna Monson. The family had added a fourth child, Agnes D. Monson. When he wasn’t fathering children, Olof worked as a farmer. Olof and Anna were born in Sweden while the three children seen in the photograph were born in Iowa. The photographer of this lovely portrait is the Cronise Photo Studio which was located in Salem, Oregon. Thomas Jefferson Cronise (?-1927) was a very talented photographer. His work is recognized by the Oregon Historical Society, which possesses a large collection of his work. He is described as a man who was able to develop a great rapport with his subjects enabling him to capture their image after he helped them relax for the picture taking. Historians note that he was excellent at photographing peoples “fleeting expressions”. The material was donated in 1974 by Harry Wilmot Cronise, the final owner of Salem’s Cronise Studio, and Thomas’s son. Tom’s sister, Anna Louise worked for photographer Francis J. Catterlin in 1892 and purchased the studio less than a year later. Tom was a successful book and job printer and he began to assist his sister in operating the studio. By 1893, he had become his sister’s partner. After deciding to pursue a full time career as a photographer, Tom bought the Elite Studio in 1902 from Hart and McLennon and renamed the studio “The Tom Cronise Photo Studio”. Upon Tom’s death in 1927, his widow, Nellie, continued the business until 1930. She was succeeded by her and Tom’s son, Harry Cronise. A portrait of Tom Cronise can be seen below.

spinster-5

 

spinster-7

 

spinster-6

 

thomas_cronise

Thomas Cronise

Advertisements
Published in: on February 20, 2017 at 8:58 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , ,